Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Quarter Two






One of the major activities that we did in quarter two was the model medicine project for science. In Model Medicine, we had to choose a specific medication that treats some thing in the body such as high blood pressure, heart problems, stomach pain, headaches etc. Then after we select a medicine to talk about, we find the active ingredient in that chemical and make a 3-D model with the in it. For example, Bisoprolol, which is the active ingredient in Concor, has 18 Carbons, 31 Hydrogen, one Nitrogen, and four Oxygen. According to those four different atoms on the table, you bond them by covalent bonds, which are bonds between nonmetals and nonmetals. And find how many bonds, or Electrons, are needed between the two atoms.

The purpose of our Model Medicine was to learn about a medicine and the compounds that are used to create the side affects of the medicine and the physical shape of the medicine on the outside. What I think was the most important was that it actually meant to us in the end. Not that like it looked cool or that it had nice colors, but what that medicine to you family-wise which was a major turn for me when I did my Model Medicine.

I learned how to put something on a model. What I mean is my physical and mental feelings and put it into sticks, balls, and toothpicks. I also learned how to correctly bond the atoms together by how many Electrons they shared. Since I had to present to the two classes, I had a more range of questions and comments about my model which, of course, helped me.

I could have learned differently if I would not have at first done the bonds with cut out toothpicks, which resulted in me having to do it repeatedly. Until I finally realized that it would connect and hold on better if it were held by un-cut toothpicks. When I did the paint the balls, it got me confused on my model and I had to work on them in the two periods that we had in class.

This relates to my goals as keeping my homework on track. Because I did not really keep on track due to the fact I had missing colors, and toothpicks. This experiment has helped me realize, especially on big projects, that they are never one-night projects.

No comments: