Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Quarter Two



BMI,or body mass index, is a number calculated from a person's weight and height. This number helps determine how healthy a person's weight is for the certain height that you have. There are certain numbers from underweight to obese. If you have a number less than 18.4 for a BMI than you are underweight, 18.5-29.9 is a normal weight for your height, and 30-30.39 is obese.

The purpose of understanding Body Mass Index is to show us how we need to change our regular eating habits and to either limit or add on to it. Another perspective would be that if you have a BMI of 25+ that means you need to change your eating habits because you might gain diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. However, if you are underweight, which is under 18.4, that means that you need to increase you consumption of food each day in order to get in a healthy weight for your height.

After I learned what my Body Mass Index was, I slightly changed my eating lifestyle and gave more effort when in came to physical education because I knew that it would help me lose some weight but, at the same time, keep my weight healthy. I also learned the formula for BMI which is BMI=(weight in pounds*703)/height in inches2.

I could have learned BMI differently if I was introduced to it in a different setting, such as a internet health website, instead of school. When we learned BMI was also discussed about the under, over, and obese numbers which helped me to understand the lesson more.

This does not relate to my goals

No comments: